Reader's Workshop in Action
More Reader's Workshop
The Daily Five is similar to Reader's Workshop, but differs in several important ways. The Sisters describe The Daily Five as a "student-driven management structure designed to fully engage students in reading and writing." What more could we want! :) Following is the Sisters' list of what distinguishes The Daily Five:
- It teaches independence.*
- Manages the entire literacy block.
- Allows for 3-5 focus lessons.
- Provides students with substantial time to read and write.*
- Allows for the integration of reading and writing.
- Incorporates a variety of clearly defined instructional routines that accelerate learning.
- Builds stamina for longer periods of reading and writing.*
- Culminates in highly engaged learners.
- Teaches students to understand and monitor their literacy goals.
If you haven't tried The Daily Five yet, give it a whirl or go visit a classroom where one of your colleagues is using it. Our students love it.